IN A NUTSHELL
No time for cooking and an almost empty fridge, but craving something warm, delicious and healthy? This soup might be just what you need. It only requires three ingredients (plus salt and pepper and a little olive oil - which are usually always in every kitchen) and 10 minutes of your precious time ;)
We simply love summer foods from exquisite fruits and berries to fresh juices and delicious crunchy salads. But as much as we’d like summer to stay for a little longer, autumn has finally and definitely taken its place. Truth be told, we also adore warming soups and cooked foods, so adjusting to the new season is not that difficult.
The other day there was nothing left in the fridge, but a small cauliflower head and two courgettes (zucchini) sadly asking to be eaten and so, I decided I would give it a go at creating a simple and super quick freshly cooked soup.
In our family soup has always been cooked ahead to last for the week, but I have to admit I’m always a little suspicious of that pot that has been sitting in the fridge for a few days and few things give me as much pleasure as a freshly cooked bowl of warm liquid goodness.
This soup only takes 10 mins to prepare - 5 for prepping the ingredients and 5 to cook. It’s deliciously warm, yet refreshingly fresh :) And did I mention it is dead easy to prepare? - Simplicity at its best ;)
If you try this warming bowl of goodness at home, let us know how it turned out by leaving a comment below or post a picture of your soup on Instagram and tag #diospirorecipes. We’d love to see what you’ve cooked up!
Cuisine Type: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free
Prep Time: 5’ | Cook Time: 5’ | Total Time: 10’
• 1 small cauliflower head
• 2 small-medium courgettes (zucchini)
• 1-2 handfuls of fresh mint (this recipe is also delicious with fresh dill, same quantity! or even both, mint and dill ;)
• salt and pepper to taste
• ⅛ cup olive oil
• spring or filtered water to fill ⅔ of the pot roughly
• knife and cutting board
• medium-large pot
• mixing spoon
• hand or countertop blender
• Wash and peel all the ingredients (if you’d like to find out about our prep-ahead produce washing method that will save you time and make your produce last longer click here.)
* Peel the courgettes for a white soup or cook with peel for a full light green version!
• Cut the cauliflower and courgette into medium sized chunks, place them in the pot and add spring or filtered water. It should roughly fill ⅔ of the pot and not cover the ingredients completely.
• Bring to a boil, add salt and pepper, lower to medium heat and allow to simmer for 3 mins.
• If you’re using a hand blender simply add the fresh mint and/or dill and the olive oil and blend until creamy. If you have a countertop blender, combine all the ingredients in the blender jug and blend.
• Garnish with a little extra fresh mint and/or dill and currants if desired. This combination of sweet and salty makes this simple soup turn into a delightful delicacy. Enjoy!
• Although we love to prepare this soup fresh at every time, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Loved this recipe and want our latest posts straight to your inbox, plus our free Juices & Smoothies ebook? Subscribe to our newsletter here!