We’ve been out of touch for over a week...we’re sorry! We were away from our computers and in fact inside the ocean at the Surfivor Surf Camp in Matosinhos, Portugal for a full-on surfing week during which the weather decided to test us to very limit. Were we really that keen?!
St. Martin’s summer seemed to have gone lost behind a bunch of dark clouds and cats and dogs were raining in and out of the waves ;) Rolled over and tossed around in some of them, we experienced first hand what a sock goes through inside a washing machine...
And yet, despite a sad grey sky and the fury of a stormy sea, it was all beyond worthwhile - even if most humans and mighty Gods understandably jeer at a bunch of crazy dudes who voluntarily choose to be inside the Atlantic ocean under rain and cold… only those who have surfed know every wave well ridden to taste better than a honey-ripe persimmon (diospiro) fallen from heaven ;)
When the clouds finally decided to give way to the sun at the end of the week, diospiro greeted the 12 non-Portuguese participants and our two super instructors with an energy picnic on the beach.
We had loaded our basket with litres of a fresh pineapple and berry smoothie (recipe below), a jumbo bowl of tasty coriander (cilantro) guacamole and a massive army of energetic chocolate & superfood mini bombs - all to ensure that the surf warriors could still dance their way into the night. Their trip to Porto was coming to an end and they did not want to miss the opportunity to surf a different kind of wave our city has to offer.
More on surf, diospiro’s picnic baskets and maybe even a giant octopus very soon on a beach near you ;)
Cuisine Type: Vegan, Lactose Free, Gluten Free, Rawfood
Preparation Time: 4’
• 1 3cm (1.5”) thick pineapple slice
• 1.5 cups of mixed berries (frozen or fresh)
• 2 oranges
• handful of basil
• optional: 1 Tsp of powdered maca
• optional: spring or filtered water to dilute as desired
• goji berries and/or cacao nibs
• knife and cutting board
• Wash and peel all ingredients.
• Cut them into pieces and place them in the blender jug.
• Blend 2-3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
• Serve the smoothie immediately sprinkled with goji berries and/or cacao nibs (add ice if desired).
• It can also be refrigerated for 24hrs, in a glass or BPA free bottle ideally. (It is perfect as a post workout drink or mid-afternoon snack at work ;)
If you’d like to know everything about diospiro’s recent surf picnics and receive our contents in your inbox, along with our free juices and smoothies ebook, please subscribe to our newsletter here.